Custom Search

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Mormonism: A Cult By Any Other Name Is Still A Cult

I wasn't always a Wiccan. For the first sixteen years of my life I was raised a Mormon. I went to church every Sunday, and on Temple trips every year. I asked to be baptized at the age of eight because I was told I was old enough at the time to make that choice. I was also baptized in the names of several dead people, all the while thinking I was doing Gods will. I was a good little Mormon too. I used to carry my Quad (That's all four of the Mormon holy books in one) to school and read it at lunch, I used to go on Missionary training visits too. I had even started saving up to pay for my Mission shortly before I left the church.

So why do I now call the Mormon church a cult?

The answer to that question isn't simple, I wish I could tell you it was. The following is my list of reasons why; hopefully this simplifies what I'm wanting to express here.


Reason #1. I was taught in that church that God was once a man on an alien planet who was made a God by his God and that I too could be a God one day if I was good enough. --- How fucked up is that? Why in the hell would you tell a child something this fucked up? This is just the tip of the iceberg

Reason #2. Baptism by proxy is Gods way of making sure everyone gets to Heaven regardless of what blasphemous church they belonged to in life.--- How completely arrogant can you get? How can you even fathom being so holier-than-thou that you think going against the choices of the dead and their chosen faiths going to get them closer to God? Come the fuck on!

Reason #3. Women cannot hold high office in the church because women would lead the church astray like Eve did to Adam.--- Are you kidding me? These idiots are just as bad as Southern Baptists.

Reason #4. Only the President of the church can talk directly to God, just like Joseph Smith did. You can pray, but the church President gets a verbal response.--- I'm sorry, but are you insane? Is that how you get to be the President of the Mormon church, you have to be worthy of a rubber room at Bellevue? Not only is it insane, but it's arrogant as hell to boot.

Reason #5. This is the incident that finally opened my eyes to how twisted the Mormon church really is.

     I was taught for sixteen years that if I had any questions that I was to talk to one of the elders of the church (no I don't mean missionaries), so that's exactly what I did. When I was half way through my sixteenth year of life I started having reoccurring nightmares. Horrific stuff that ended up coming true many years later. So because I always tried to do what the church told me to do, I went to talk with one of the heads of my branch. The response was so NOT at all what I had expected. I expected some reassurance that these where just nightmares and they would eventually go away, but what I got instead was a very harsh shaming. I was berated by a man I had though of as a friend. I was told that what I was saying was blasphemous, and told I was claiming to be a prophet. I couldn't even respond, I was shocked to say the least. There I was, a scared sixteen year old kid asking for help from the church that I was taught was my one saving grace and way to salvation and what I received was a verbal beating. I felt even more scared after I left that office then when I went in. So out of pain and anger I left the Mormon church never to return.

     After leaving the church I looked back on everything they had taught me over the years, but this time without the rose colored glasses. And I realized that I hadn't been attending a church, but rather a cult. A cult that requested that you testify about your love for the church first, it's founder second, and God last. What kind of a church does that? From what I've researched, NONE. What kind of a church teaches you that you too can become a God? NONE. What kind of a church asks you to go against a persons wishes after they're dead and be be baptized in that persons name? NONE. These are all indications of a cult.

     You know, I really should have gone back and thanked the guy who screamed at me all those years ago before he died. Because if it wasn't for him I'd still be drinking the Kool-aid.

3 comments:

  1. Namaste,brah.They are an interesting bunch.My wife was actually raised Mormon.(she got better)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice account of an insider's perspective. Glad to see you saw the light.
      See you over in RT. :)

      Delete