Custom Search

Friday, November 18, 2011

It Does Get Better

          Hey you. Yeah you with the gun to your head, the knife at your wrist. Step back for a minute and listen. I know what you're going through. No, I'm not gay, but I do know what it's like to be tortured by others for the way you were born. How? I'll tell you.

          I was already an outcast before puberty kicked in, but when my body changed my being different was visibly noticeable. I was the only 13 year old boy with breasts. No, I'm not a hermaphrodite, I was just born with breasts. Changing for gym class was a living hell that I didn't think I could survive until high school graduation. Just going to school made me physically ill. Every day I would have to face being called "fag", "homo", "hermaphrodite", and the most constant "tits mcgee". I would be chased home from school, have rocks thrown at me, and even had my books stolen from me and thrown into a water filled pothole in an alley. The school did nothing to protect me. In one instance after being sucker punched in the stairwell I was the one who got sent to in-school suspension for "instigating" the "fight". So yeah, I know what it's like to tortured for being born different.

          But, I never gave up. Oh I wanted to, believe me. I even had several different plans on how I was going to take my own life, but I didn't try any of them. It wasn't until my junior year of high school that I stopped being the victim; although I went about it the wrong way. It wasn't until I left school that I came to the true realization that those who had made my life hell for all those years were not going to define the man I would become. So here I am 16 years later, and I have a family full of people who care about me for who I am, breasts and all. Every now and then some ignorant jerk will say something stupid, but I just look at them and laugh, because I refuse to let the small minded people in this world tear me down.

          It will get better. Your lives will not be defined by the small minded people you're dealing with now, and one day you will look back and pity them. You will have the last laugh when you look around you and see those who love you and not those who never took the time to even get to know you. It really does get better.


No comments:

Post a Comment