Custom Search

Monday, May 9, 2011

What's so damn bad about 'Judas'?

(First off let me say that I am NOT a Lady Gaga fan.)

 Ever since Lady Gaga released the track 'Judas', Christians have been going absolutely nuts. People have been calling Gaga Anti-Semitic, Anti-Christian and a few other choice words since the songs pre-Easter release/leak.

Dave Bohon of the Right-Wing site 'The New American' said "...Lady Gaga’s Judas appears to be motivated mainly by a demonic impulse to sully the symbols and stories that millions of Christians hold precious — in this case the legacy of a woman from whom Jesus cast seven demons...". 


Even people who are supposed to be open-minded have taken aim at the song. A former Facebook friend went so far as to say this shortly after the song was released/leaked:


I have been saying for a week now that this song is about the blood libel, about the Jews killing Jesus, and that Lady Gag is a Jew hater, and here's the quote to prove that what I have been saying is correct: "I believe in the gospel" and in the Gospel the Jew Judas betrays the Jew Jesus, and that's the beginning of the blood libel that Jews killed Jesus. Lady Gag hates Jews and that's what the song is about.


I was immediately unfriended when I asked how she came to that conclusion, and stated I didn't get that from the lyrics at  all. 


I started wondering, "Why is this song causing so much outrage and making seemingly sane people go nuts?" So, I reread the lyrics, and I still didn't understand how people were getting all these Anti-Jewish/Christian vibes out of a song that seemed to me to be about Gagas' own inner religious struggle. 


I just don't get what is so bad about 'Judas'. I see nothing anti-anything about the song or the video. BUT, if you do you'll find links to the lyrics and the Youtube video for 'Judas' below. Please read the lyrics and watch the video and give me your opinions on this song, and whether you find the song offensive or not and why.


http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/l/lady_gaga/judas.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wagn8Wrmzuc



No comments:

Post a Comment